2/27/2015

Christian Fiction Friday - February 27, 2015


**Christian Fiction Friday is a weekly blog hop where authors post short (400-word or less) snippets from their current works in progress. It is hosted by Alana Terry and Hallee Bridgeman.**
 
The past two weeks, I've been sharing snatches of the book I'm currently working on, a sequel to my published book The Reunion, called 'The Return'. Be sure to check back next week for more!
 
(Today's snippet is a continuation of the conversation between Izobel and her videographer friend, Noah, who is obviously interested in becoming more than a friend and colleague, found in the post from February 13.)


      Izobel gripped her fork in frustration. Her relationship with Matt and her inability to move on after his death was a topic she did not want to talk about. Especially with someone interested in her. But how to express that without being flat out rude? Of course, if anyone was being rude, it was him, pursuing so personal a topic she clearly didn’t want to discuss. “Neither of us called off the wedding. He was killed in the line of duty before we could get married.”
 
     Regret pinched Noah's features. “Ah, I see. I’m sorry I asked, Izobel. I didn’t know.”
 
     At the dismay clearly written across his face, her expression softened. “I know you didn’t. It’s okay---it was a long time ago.”
 
      She could tell by the look on his face what his next question would be. Please don’t ask it. Let it go.
 
      “So why have you never married? You’re a beautiful woman. Surely there’ve been others in your life since your fiancé died.”
 
      This time, she didn’t hold back the sigh. The throbbing behind her eyes became more persistent, and she rubbed the corners of her temples in an attempt to ease the pain. 
  
     And to avoid answering the question.
 
      “Can I get you something for that headache?” Noah asked, concern deepening his voice.
  
     “I’ve got some ibuprofen in my bag. Can you please bring it to me? I think I left it the foyer.”
  
     “Sure thing. Just sit tight and I’ll be right back.”
 
     She smiled, grateful to be alone. With any luck, he’d forget the question he’d asked and leave her alone for the rest of the night. That was the one thing everyone asked her the most often. And it was the one question she honestly had no answer for. Of course there had been other men in her life after Matt’s death. She enjoyed meeting new people, and casual dating provided a unique opportunity to do so. And it wasn’t as if she didn’t want to settle down and get married. She’d always dreamed of being a wife and mother. But every time she imagined herself falling in love with a person, panic filled her heart and she couldn’t continue the relationship. It wasn’t anything against the men she dated. They’d all been charming, wonderful men--not worthy of someone as unable to commit as she was. As wonderful as they’d been, however, they’d still fallen short.
    
     They weren’t Matt.

2 comments:

  1. That last line packs such a punch, Jenny. I haven't ever been widowed or lost a fiance, but I feel like I would probably feel that same way for a long time. Great job with describing the emotions she's going through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my. I think I'm about to cry. Excellent writing.

    ReplyDelete