8/20/2011

Nothing To Complain About

When I overhear children or teenagers complaining because they don't have a certain toy, or their parents won't buy them the newest iPhone, I just want to shake some sense into them. If only they could understand how privileged they really are. Most of the children in this country have food to eat every day. Most of the children in this country have clothing to wear, and a roof over their heads. Most of the children in this country have at least some toys and books with which to entertain themselves. Most of the children in this country have at least someone in their lives who loves about them. And most of the children in this country are safe from harm.

However, there are children around the world who do not have enough food to eat. They might get to eat today. There are children around the world who are naked, or poorly clothed. There are children around the world who are homeless, forced to live on the streets. There are children around the world who have never had a childhood. Have never played a game of soccer or own a book, let alone know how to read it. There are children around the world who have been betrayed by their own family members. Abused, or sold for little money into slavery. And there are children around the world who are in constant danger--sometimes put there by people who were supposed to love and cherish them.

When I hear people in this country say that they've had the worst day imaginable, I am incredulous. Because what could be worse than some of the things women and children the world around have been forced into? On our worst days, odds are that we still have something to eat. On our worst days, odds are that we still have a roof over our heads, and clothes to wear. On our worst days, odds are that we still have people who love us to come home to. And on our worst days, odds are that we are still safe from harm. Free to live our lives. Free to have a better day tomorrow.

There are women and children in many countries, sold into the sex trade, who do not have that guarantee. Every day is their worst day.

We have absolutely nothing to complain about. It's time we took a hard look at ourselves and asked what we can do to help.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny!

    It's fun to see what your blog is all about. We seem to be very similar, you and I. We are all about Jesus, and I love every author you do..except I haven't read Karen Kingsbury yet. I LOVE Pride and Prejudice. We both home school.Wow! I'm excited to get to know you. I'm glad you joined my discussion on SheWrites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kimberly! I'm so glad Gwendolyn "friended" me on Goodreads! It was from her blog that I discovered SheWrites. I've enjoyed the discussions in the Christian writers group and look forward to getting to know you all as well. I'll be sure to check out your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete