3/20/2011

Book Review for "Rooms: A Novel" by James Rubart (Kindle Edition)

There are no words to adequately express thoughts and emotions reading this book stirred up inside of me. I originally started with only the sample, but had to purchase the rest of the book as soon as I finished those few pages. My family and I were on a long road trip and I literally read Rooms in its entirety on the trip. It was that good. The characters were well fleshed out and seemed very real to me. The description of the house and each new room...amazing. Best of all, however, was the main character's journey back to a relationship with God.

This is definitely not a story to be missed. But if you do decide to read it, I warn you now: you'd better make sure you have plenty of time for reading. Once you start, you will not be able to put it down until the end.

I've seen some pretty negative reviews for this book. Several of them have been because of the book's Christian content. There are those who are bound and determined to give negative reviews to books merely because they are Christian. Fine. I hope the author pays them no mind (because I as a reader sure don't). The ones that I don't understand are the ones from fellow Christians questioning the author's theology, or making assumptions that are just not in the book. Mr. Rubart is not saying that wealthy, successful businessmen can't be Christians or are demon-possessed. That was not at all the message I received from reading the book. It is where and in what Micah placed his meaning for living and all of his importance that was called into question. The Bible is quite clear that our hope and trust is to be placed in Jesus Christ. Our focus of worship is to be God alone. What do we love? Is it money? Our possessions? Power or standing in the world? Even people can take our focus off of God. Money is not evil. Success is not evil. Possessions are not evil. But when we place them in importance above our relationship with Jesus Christ or hold onto them tightly, they become idols. Micah's power and wealth was an idol. Sometimes the happiest, most content people are those without many material goods. Why? Because they are not owned by their belongings. On the other hand, I know several wealthy businessmen and women who are quite generous with their material blessings.

Many have compared this book with The Shack. Honestly, I have serious issues with the theology presented in that book. I do not, however, have issues with this one. This is a book about a prodigal returning Home and how those around him help him find his way back to a relationship with God the Father. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment